Sunday, May 24, 2009

Other Gardens to Learn From...

Hi Everyone,
I am up in Maryland at my Aunt's, who lives in a retirement community. They have a very large community garden for residents, and I am coming back with a ton of ideas and some 'long bean' seeds. A few things this garden has, we should work toward:
* Purple Martin house for catching insects
* All plots have a barrier of stone or landscape timber around the base to build up soil
* There are compost areas and areas where sand is brought in once a year
* There is water piped underground to a spigot every 30-40 feet. 
* Grass grows (fescue) between the plots to keep the dirt down.
* Most have plastic fencing to keep the deer and rabbits out.
* They are using metal posts covered with old tennis balls to permanently mark plots.
* Sheds have been installed on the perimeter for storage of equipment so everyone doesn't have to lug theirs out to the garden each time.
Of course, a picture is worth a thousand words. I hope the weather will cooperate and I can get out there again before I leave to take photos.
Lyn

1 comment:

  1. Lyn - great ideas! I thought about "installing" some plastic fencing around my plot, but thought it was silly as I was thinking it was more decorative than anything else. I may go out and get some now. I have my first installation of the water bottle drip irragation system installed and plenty more of recycled water bottles to install tomorrow, so I'll let you know how that works out. I am curious to see if it works as designed.

    Have a safe trip home. God has been watering our garden for us, so I'm very thankful for that. It's been mostly a nice, pleasant rain; not too hard where I feel like it will wash my plants away :)

    ReplyDelete